Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Speaker Repair and other Speakers topics.
If you have a pair of speakers that have a rip or small tear in the paper material of the speaker cone you can repair it with a little watered down Elmer's glue and some tissue paper:
• Cut or tear the tissue paper so into pieces a little bigger than the tear
• Soak the pieces in the diluted Elmer's glue
• Apply pieces, one at a time, over the tear
• Let each patch get tacky then, apply a second layer
• Repeat until you have applied three to five layers on each side of the cone
• Let dry overnight
You may have to play with the glue mixture and application to get it right, so experiment on a dead speaker, if possible, before going prime time.
* This trick only works on woofers with paper cones, but can save a pair of speakers.
|Sheri Ann Richerson|